Sunday, February 8, 2009


I think the Premiership is divided into those who like Manchester United and those who don't. They've put together an incredible run in football(soccer), as the other teams just can't seem to score (like my friends without alcohol). 

Manchester United defeated West Ham 1-0, when Ryan Giggs found the net with his right(weaker) foot. It was their 13th consecutive clean sheet in the Prem, and Van Der Sar hasn't conceded for 1,212 minutes. The Dutchman has the record, and United are now top by two, with a game in hand. West Ham played valiantly at home, but it wasn't enough.

Liverpool staged two comebacks, and Torres headed them to second place in a 3-2 victory over Portsmouth. The first hour was quiet, but then Nugent and Crouch linked up well for the opener. Aurelio put away an indirect free kick in the bottom corner, before Belhadj's free kick beat the credit crunch to find Hreidarsson's head. Kuyt then drilled David James' cookie jar, before Torres against snuck in at the front post, and his header did as well. Rafa's rotation is in full effect, as Kuyt, Torres and Xabi Alonso all came in off the bench. Gerrard's absence through injury was obvious, but Torres saved Rafa from answering some awkward questions over Keane.

Aston Villa defeated Blackburn 2-0 to move into third place. It was Villa's league leading tenth win on the road, and Allardyce's first loss at Blackburn. Milner opened the scoring in the 27th minute, when he played his way into the box on a short corner and showed off his (weaker) left foot. Friedel didn't have a shot to stop, but it took until the 90th minute for Villa to grab their second, thanks to Agbonlahor. Carew came off the bench, and Villa are almost fully fit, and a dangerous proposition.

Chelsea sputtered to a 0-0 with Hull, and Scolari does not seem at home in London. Hilario had one save to make, while Chelsea couldn't make anything of their possession and chances. Chelsea are 7 points bag, and the Champs still have a game in hand. It might be time to start focusing on other silverware, as they have a hard time coalescing and the pressure is mounting. Hull needed the point and fought for it.

Emmanuel Eboue got himself sent off in the first half, and this North London derby ended 0-0. Eboue got two yellows for petulance, and each team wasted a couple of good chances. Keane wore
 the captain's armband for Spurs, while Arshavin never got off the bench for the Gunners. Wenger seemed satisfied after the game, but they sit in fifth place, and are five points back of a Champions League qualifying position. There are already suggestions of a mass exodus if they don't finish in the top four, and they need some more class if they're going to move up the table.

Everton defeated Bolton 3-0, as they continue their creep up the table. Jo sparkled in his debut for the club, and was involved in all three goals. He was brought down in the box, which Arteta converted, then scored with some Brazilian flair, and grabbed his second on a penalty. Megson was displeased, but Everton just showed that they are an echelon above the Wanderers.

Wigan and Fulham had a defensive stalemate, as they drew 0-0. Fulham squandered a couple chances, but this was a likely outcome from two of the better defensive sides.

Manchester City defeated Middlesbrough 1-0, to squeak into the top half of the table. Mark Hughes was made to look smart for once, when Craig Bellamy netted the winner in the 51st minute. Shay Given is already looking like a good buy, while Boro can't seem to buy a goal and sit joint bottom. 

Sunderland defeated Stoke 2-0, in the candy cane derby. Etherington got himself sent off, and Jones put Sunderland ahead(er) in the 78th minute. David Healy opened his account in the 90th, and Stoke are stuck in the drop zone. It's hard to see what they can do to survive, other than hope some other teams suck it up.

Joe Kinnear had to go to the hospital before Newcastle's match, but the Geordies responded with a 3-2 win over West Brom. Duff scored in the second minute, until Fortune leveled in the fourth minute. New signing Lovenkrands gave Newcastle the lead five minutes later, while Taylor converted a free header just before half-time. Fortune grabbed his second in the 73rd minute, but that was it for the Baggies.